|This utaite's song list is up-to-date and complete. Most recent upload: September 26, 2016.|
|If you feel the list needs an update, please help by doing so.|
|Please read tutorial page before you start editing.|
|If you have trouble editing, you can always visit the Forum, or contact an admin. We'll happily help with anything|
| This article needs further elaboration.
This article's description has not met the wiki's standard. You can help Utaite Wiki by expanding it.
Illust. by 0neirio
|Also known as|| JubyPhonic P|
Juliet Simmons (real name)
JubyPho (じゅびふぉ, on NND)
|NND sites|| NND user page|
|Collab partner(s)||rachie, Kuraiinu, ✿ham|
|Other activities||Drawing, writing comic strips, (professionally) voice acting|
|A sample of a cover song by JubyPhonic|
"Toumei Answer" -English ver.-, composed by Jin
JubyPhonic (aka Juliet Simmons) is a YouTube artist and professional voice actress/ vocalist. Sometimes going by Juby, she is a fairly new and popular YouTube singer who started singing end of May 2012. With more than 130 covers and near 350,000 subscribers worldwide, already Juby's work has over 100 million views (Sept. 2016). And that's despite limited monthly releases and even a hiatus of 6 months! She records mostly English covers of VOCALOID and anime songs, with her own translyrics.
In 2015 she branched out-- she ran her first "Skochbox Summer Cover Contest". She also ran several fun live stream talk shows done with some of her utaite friends, "the unholy quartet", while bringing in other special guests from the community--with some fan participation.
She provides her own subs for her English covers. But when she first started she was using YouTube's annotation system and then hardsubs done by ericaohmg95 and OccasionalSubs. She also does some of the artwork for her site and covers, mixes audio and edits video.
Although she often does most of her work alone (excepting the rare duet or collab) in 2015 she started doing more elaborate projects and artistically directing her own paid collaborations, now made possible with the support of her fans through Patreon.com.
Her voice has a characteristic stability, clarity, and brilliance along with a certain bounce to it. She is also known for being emotionally expressive and touching her fans' hearts.
Her skill with incorporating idioms and correct pronunciation/syncopation in her Japanese to English translations has made her translyrics favorites of many of her fans. At best she manages to preserve the intended meaning and feeling in rhyme as well as in singable lyrics, while still hitting the appropriate beats of the original composer/lyricist.
She supports her fan's creative expression and all new creative works in general, thus her translyrics and covers are available for use as long as she (and the original work) is properly credited and used in projects for fun (non profit).
Her three most popular English covers are "Drop Pop Candy", "Game of Life", both with over 5 million views, and "Lost One's Weeping" with over 4 million views. Already more than 35 of her covers have well over a million views (Sept. 2016). YouTube carries the majority of her covers. Soundcloud has over half of her covers plus different versions, acoustic, experimental collaborations with new composers, new re-mixes and mashups. Nico Nico Douga carries less than half of her covers but also has several new covers that are not available anywhere else.
She often depicts herself with pink/reddish hair, often with a yellow hoodie with long rabbit ears.
A professional voice actress, Juliet Simmons (real name), has been working for the last 3 years with Sentai Filmworks while still in college. She has been featured in supporting and leading roles in near 40 shows as of Feb. 2016 and also been featured as a vocalist. She appeared on national tv on Cartoon Network’s Toonami in Akame Ga Kill as Kurome and she recently played Chiyo Sakura in Monthly Girls’ Nozaki-kun to rave reviews. Chiyo was her dream role and favorite character. In 2016 she was nominated for BTVA Awards 2015 for Best Female Lead Vocal Performance in an Anime Movie/Special for her role as Ryoko Sato in Aura: Koga Maryuin's Last War.
As of 2015 Juliet Simmons (aka JubyPhonic) has received invitations to conventions across the country, where she periodically appears as a guest artist, panelist, and host, so she can meet some of her fans.
Juby also writes under the pen name Gooby, as a contributing writer for GoBoiano---a top anime and Japanese pop culture online publication. To find her articles, google GoBoiano.com/ Gooby.
Before becoming a Utaite and a voice actress, she wrote her own comic strip called Juby's Word of the Day .
Affiliations and Collaboration ProjectsEdit
List of Covered SongsEdit
Songs on SoundCloudEdit
- She started performing in musical theater shows at age 3 and sang in school choirs beginning in elementary. At 12 she was taking private voice lessons---after attending and watching her siblings lessons weekly, since age 4.
- Besides voice, she grew up taking years of training in stage/ film acting, dance, choir, art & electronic media.
- She took Japanese classes in college. Latin Honor Society in high school.
- She was in the gifted program through most of school. Dean's List in college.
- She often shared the musical theater stage with her siblings and parents. Being creative runs in the family--singers, lyricists, poets, writers, artists, dancers, actors as hobby/work. Her sisters work in NYC in entertainment.
- She likes Yoko Kanno, Maaya Sakamoto, Megumi Nakajima, Osamurai-san, Kikuo, Rasmus Faber, Linkin Park, Lady Gaga, Coldplay and UVERWorld.
- She loves to interact with her fans. She replies to e-mail, YouTube comments, her tumblr blog, and tweets in a funny and teeny way. In 2015 her sister, Alissa, began helping to answer the many fans on YouTube and in 2016 she appointed a JubyPhonic Moderator OFFICIAL so Juby's increasing fans around the world were cared for.
- She took the name "JubyPhonic P" because it rhymed with "Juby comics", which she had been drawing at that time. She added the P "because it seemed right".
- She started going by just "Jubyphonic" after realizing that the P in her name can also stand for "producer".
- She sings in English, partly because she thought she would be embarrassing herself by singing in Japanese. From bi-lingual parents, she knows that it's the native speaker, their children and people who have lived in a country for years, that can speak the language best. Another reason she chooses to write her own translyrics and sings in English is because she felt there were often dubs made that didn't quite live up to the original. Also, she wanted these evocative, heartfelt songs to reach more people around the world that otherwise might not have been adventurous enough to listen to a song in Japanese, but might listen to it in English. 
- Her brother taught her how to mix. He writes cutting edge software & owns his own intl company, Awesomium.
- Her sister, Genevieve Simmons, is a film/stage actress. A voice actor with Sentai, she has done supporting and lead roles in 40+ shows. She won BTVA Anime Dub Awards 2013 (Breakthrough Actress) plus made Supporting Female Vocal Performance BTVA nominations 2014 & 2015 (Anime TV series). She is a guest at conventions.
- Her eldest sister, Alissa Simmons, is a singer & film/stage actress. Interestingly, she did film capture for both Deunan and Nyx in Tokyo for "Appleseed Alpha" (2014). She sings cabaret shows in NYC and is an Off Broadway theater company member--when she is not busy filming indie films. She is a guest judge @ conventions.
- Her whole family watches anime, reads manga, goes to conventions, and shares music files on Kanno Yoko, etc
- She lives in Houston.
- Her favorite utaites are Kashitaro Ito, Reol, Kanseru, and kradness.
- She has been working professionally as a voice actor for Sentai Filmworks for 3 years while still in college. She has done supporting and lead roles for near 40 shows as of Feb. 2016 and also been featured as a vocalist. She appeared on national tv on Cartoon Network’s Toonami in Akame Ga Kill as Kurome and she recently played Chiyo Sakura in Monthly Girls’ Nozaki-kun to rave reviews. Chiyo was her dream role and favorite character. In 2016 she was nominated for BTVA Awards 2015 for Best Female Lead Vocal Performance in an Anime Movie/Special for her role as Ryoko Sato in Aura: Koga Maryuin's Last War.
- She is a guest at conventions.
- Juby also writes under the pen name Gooby, as a contributing writer for GoBoiano---a top anime and Japanese pop culture online publication. To find her articles, google GoBoiano.com/ Gooby.
- Anime News Network
- Behind The Voice Actors page
- My Anime List
- Juliet Simmons/ JubyPhonic official site
- Juliet Simmons Wikipedia
- Youtaite wiki/ JubyPhonic